HOW WALKING CAN MAKE YOU HEALTHIER & HAPPIER
Do you consider walking exercise? It is. And simply walking can make you healthier and happier.
Are you a fan of Jane Austen? Ok, maybe just the Pride and Prejudice movie starring Keira Knightley? Elizabeth walks EVERYWHERE. There’s a comment in the book about how walking keeps her trim.
Walking. Just walking.
We’ve gotten so lazy. We sit all day and then sit some more at night. We drive everywhere. It’s no wonder Europeans are slimmer. They walk far more than Americans do.
If there’s one simple easy thing you can do to become healthier and happier, it’s walking.
All it takes is 30 minutes a day five days a week for walking to make you healthier and happier.
Here are 13 ways walking can make you healthier and happier.
- Walking improves balance which helps to prevent falls.
- Limits colon cancer by 31% for women.
- It’s an ab workout. Walking engages your ab muscles.
- Walking also works your arm and shoulder muscles. It’s not all about the legs.
- Limits illness by cutting in half the odds of catching a cold.
- Builds bones mass thereby reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- In just ten minutes, you’ll boost endorphins. An endorphin boost eases stress, tension, anger, fatigue and confusion!
- Reduces the risk of glaucoma.
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 50% over five years.
- Improves heart health by increasing heart rate and circulation
- Improves blood pressure by five points.
- Of course, it does strengthen those leg muscles – quads, hip flexors and hamstrings.
- Walking burns more fat than jogging.
With the nicer weather upon us, it’s easy to add more walking to your everyday activities. Set those Fitbits on fire with your step count!
- Park in the back of the lot.
- Use the restroom on the opposite end of the building.
- Go for an evening walk.
- Go for a walk during your lunch break.
- Have a walking meeting or discussion with a coworker.
- Pace while on the phone.
- Instead of driving, think of all the possible places you could walk to instead.
Next time you’re running to the store, see if you can literally run instead of driving. Except a good power walk is all you need. You may first think it’s a real hassle but before you know it, you’ll be skipping with happiness.
Walking is one easy healthy habit to add to your daily activities that offers a myriad of wonderful benefits. Get in on that action!
If you’re looking for other easy ways to be active check out 12 Ways to Exercise Without Exercising.
TRACK YOUR HEALTH & FITNESS GOALS!
Are you keeping a nutrition and fitness journal? Research shows that by keeping a food and fitness journal, writing down your workouts and what you eat, you lose more weight and reach your goals quicker. Fitbook is an awesome journal that provides tips, motivation and plenty of space to reflect and document things that inspire you. I use this to help plan my workouts and my meals. I love the extra tips it offers regarding healthier food and fitness options.
HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK IN A DAY?
As always, please remember that I am not a medical professional, personal trainer or nutritionist… I’m just a hard hitting girl who wants to be healthy and strong! Before you begin any fitness or nutrition program, please consult your physician!
This post may include affiliate links. That means if you purchase anything through certain links on my website, or any of my social media platforms, a portion of your purchase may be given to me without changing your price. All my opinions are truthful, honest and 100% mine. Thank you so much for supporting Hard Hitting Fitness by purchasing through these links!
Hard Hitting Fitness is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.